Monday, June 16, 2008

June 2, 2008 - Korean Barbeque and Silk Worms

June 2, 2008 9PM

Korean Barbeque and Silk Worms

Monday Evening the pastor took me and my roommate home from school because it was raining. He insisted on stopping somewhere and getting us dinner and took us to this nice Korean barbeque place. The barbeque was cooked right in front of us on a circular grill in the middle of the table. Almost everything with the meal was good, almost….. One of the sides that they had (other then many different varieties of kimchi) was silk worms and earlier that evening I had told the pastor that I would try everything at least once so he made me try a silk worm. It wasn’t horrible but it is defiantly not something I will eat if I am cooking. After the beef cooked we dipped it in a soybean sauce and wrapped it in lettuce leaves to eat. Although not quite the same as a Texas barbeque with a big old steak on the grill with A-1 steak sauce it was a wonderful meal.
Monday was also the first day of classes at the school. In the morning I am supposed to go to the kindergarten at the church and teach English for 2 hours but the lady in charge of the school was not there and so we didn’t know which classes we were supposed to go to and when. I did end up observing another English teacher as he taught in the 3 year old class and then just sitting in the office until lunch time which I ate at that school and then walked with the other teachers to the Wesley school for the afternoon classes. The afternoon classes were a little hectic (but that is expected with the first day of classes). Class is pretty easy to prepare for because we have a group set of lesson plans so all the students will be at the same spot in the books which means I don’t have to really prepare for any but my last class which is the advanced middle school class. My class sizes ranged from 9 students to only 3 students. The class with only 3 students was SO quiet. They didn’t talk out of turn or whisper to each other (in fact they only talked if I asked them a direct question). Overall my first day of classes went pretty good – there were times it could have been better but tomorrow is another day and I’m sure the classes will go better then.

0 comments: