Monday, June 16, 2008

June 13th 9:30 PM - Field Trip with the Kindergarten



June 13th 9:30 PM

Today I got to go on a field trip with the kindergarten classes to a war memorial and cemetery. The first part of the trip I went with my downstairs classroom then went to my other classroom and helped out there for the rest of the trip. All the graves in this cemetery are Koreans that were killed in other countries then Korea and wanted to be buried in their home country. I took lots of pictures of the memorial and of my cute kids. As I was walking back to the bus with the kids one of the little girls accidentally stepped into a grate that was across the sidewalk and got her leg stuck. I was able to pull her out but her shoe fell of and was sitting at the bottom of the area the grate covered. I couldn’t get my hand down there to get her shoe but luckily the Korean teacher was able to reach down there and got her shoe for her. On the way across it the first time the teacher told the kids to be careful because they have such small feet it was easy for them to fall into it but coming back they weren’t paying attention to where they walked. No pictures of the kids posted here because I do not know the rules of the school as far as posting pictures of kids online.


Lots of graves at this memorial
The monuments on either end of the cemetery.
I am not sure what the specific meaning of the monuments are because I was busy chasing children and didn’t have a chance to read what was written about them.
Today I also had a breakthrough in my advanced class. The lesson for the day was on money and buying and spending. The lesson started like normal with minimal participation from the students but at the end when they were doing some out of their work book I took out some American money I had and passed it around the classroom. I had a 20, a 10 and a handful of change (including state quarters). All the students were looking at the money and asking me questions about it – they wanted to know which presidents were on it (and I hate to say it but I didn’t remember on all the coins which president it was), why the state coins all had different backs, the buildings on the front of the bills (white house and US treasury). They also pulled out Korean money and we were comparing it. One thing I saw that was interesting was that the 10 won (which has the same value as a penny) was a copper coin like the penny (although it was a little bigger). Today is the first day that the students have actively asked questions and wanted to learn more and really the first time they have talked and held a discussion in the class.




2 comments:

Malia said...

Dad had a neat suggestion... do you have some extra time in that classroom, (the older students) or are you pressed for time to complete the lesson? If you find you have an extra 10 minutes, start the lesson with you asking them to tell you about the local history... or the local mountains.. or good places to hike, or visit, or things like that.. don't give it to them as an assignment to work on for the next day, just an impromptu discussion to teach YOU something, also. It might continue to be an "icebreaker" for those students.

Sounds like you are making progress with them!

Anonymous said...

teenagers and money;)

could you enhance their lessons with American music in their favorite genera? even Christian music in their favorite genera.